Updated Vital Statistics

Unreferenced Wiki figures in the last post proved to be unfounded. From the US Census website, figures:

Per capita income for 2011       $21,951

Median Household Income between 2007 and 2011       $37,927

Persons below the poverty level 2007 – 2011        20.1%

The figures from the 2010 census show that 24% of the population of Newark was under the age of 18

Some figures given for the US Census 2007 – 2011 American Community Survey 5 Year Estimates (margin of error indicated on survey) fill out the economic portrait of the population of Newark.

Population over 16 years old     37,474

In the labor force       23,926

Unemployed      2,354 (approximately 10%)

Quantity of households (total 20,328) with incomes (including benefits) in 2011 dollars:

0 – $10,000     2,217

$10,000 — $14,999     1,573

$15,000 — $24,999     2,894

$25,000 — $34,999     2,748

$35,000 — $49,999     2,932

$50,000 — $74,999     3,738

$75,000 — $99,999     1,946

$100,000 – 149,999     1,601

$150,000 — $199,999     440

$200,000 – more       239

Households receiving Food Stamps/Snap benefits equaled the figures given for below the poverty line (20%)

Households can be one or more people, family or individuals. Some points of interest: the figures match the 2012 election issue of the 1% and the 99%. In this respect Newark is a microcosm of what is claimed on some unsubstantiated, and some referenced statistics regarding ownership and income disparity. The Newark Advocate, in previous stories, cited figures of 60% owner occupant housing and 40% non-owner occupant housing. The 2010 Census gave the figure at 57% owner occupant, more than 10% below the overall Ohio owner occupant rate of 69%. Another figure which jumps out but is little acted on is that 24% of the population is less than 18 years old. Of course, they can’t vote. Were that the case, politics might be significantly different. However, they seem to be “accounted” for within school budgets, over which the state and local districts battle. Newark has no public municipal community center or recreation center. The pool at Hollander was shut down for some time and has reopened under YMCA management. The 24% of Newark’s population drop out of any democratically determined policies or actions, leaving the majority rule aspect to the 76% of the population eligible to vote. However, this segment (the under 18 years of age) does contribute to the consumer based economy. Even more important, the allotment received from school budget considerations only occupies a nominal amount of time while school is in session – a rather limited part of the entire year’s calendar. This is the fly in the ointment of democracy and budget debates based on who votes, who earns and who decides what is of importance. Obviously, if 24% of the population continuously have someone else speaking on their behalf, what represents the majority is not so clear.

Advertisements

Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: